A CALL FOR VIGILANCE
HATE CRIME REPORTING:
Hamilton Police Services 905-546-4925
In response to the recent violence in Paris, we, as Muslims, must be pro-active, not re-active.
These are just guidelines and are not meant to invoke fear or paranoia. Use your common sense. In all cases, if you are having a concern about anything, contact a member of the respective local Mosque board and let them know. If the matter is not urgent, email them at the address(es) above. Don’t think it too small or insignificant, we need to know what is happening in our community.
WHAT SHOULD I SAY?
- There is NO NEED to apologize – we as a peace-loving, Muslim community have done nothing and should not be blamed for the actions of a few.
- Condemn violence against any innocent people – Violence begets violence and violence is not the solution.
- Condemn those who incite violence or hate against any people – Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) never incited violence or hatred of any people or group. Speak out against any person or group who incites violence or hate against anyone.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?
- BE VIGILANT – If you think there may be someone or some people in our community who may be trying to spread hate or incite violence against any group, notify any your respective Local Mosque board members (if it is an emergency, call 9-1-1 first).
- WATCH FOR BACKLASH – Without being overly paranoid, be extra watchful for potential vandalism, violence, name-calling or other verbal abuse. Even something hateful spray-painted or posted/taped to a mosque door can be a hate crime. If you witness something happening at your home or business, CALL 9-1-1 and take measures to protect yourself and your family. If you see something taped or posted or spray-painted on the mosque anywhere, DO NOT TOUCH IT OR REMOVE IT – CALL THE POLICE HATE CRIMES UNIT TO INVESTIGATE AT 905-546-4925. Touching the offensive item could endanger yourself and others, but also destroy evidence (e.g. finger prints) making the police investigation much more challenging.
- PROTECT YOURSELF – If you wear a beard, prayer cap or hijab, you will be at an increased risk of reprisal attacks or victim of a hate crime. Use your discretion appropriately and try to travel in pairs or groups. Be pleasant and courteous and put on a brave face. You have nothing to be ashamed of, as you have done nothing wrong. If you are physically attacked, try to defend yourself. Call 9-1-1 or if unable, urge others to call. Again, if you experience anything, big or small, contact your respective local Mosque management.
- GET INVOLVED – We are blessed to be in Canada where we are afforded the right to practice our religion in peace. Be a PROUD CANADIAN and contribute to society and do good works. Get involved and support your local, provincial and federal politicians so they can know us and hear our voices. Be engaged. Join community organizations and school boards and make a difference. Volunteer and work alongside our fellow Canadians.
May Allah guide us and protect us from evil and ignorance and to strengthen and unite us in the face of danger or harm. Ameen.
PLEASE COPY AND POST – DISTRIBUTE WIDELY